Tuesday 24 September 2013

So does where you live influence the way you write?

A lot of Australian entries come in to the Global Short Story Competition (more this month), which gives a chance to ask writers everywhere a question.

It would be interesting to hear, for example, from Australian writers to see what inspires them. Do the searing heat and the vast open spaces produce a particular kind of fiction from you?

I have always believed that a writer is influenced to some degree by where they live and work and would love to hear from writers in other parts of the world as well, not just Australia.
Yes I know it is a gross generalisation but I am sure that a writer writing in a dark, cold country produces different fiction than one in a bright sunny one. Certainly if you look at the great Scandinavian and Icelandic crime writers, their work is influenced by their surroundings.
I can speak from my own experience. I write best in Winter. I also write about a fictional city called Hafton. Sited in the North of England, it is based in part on a real city which most appeals to me in winter, when the streets glisten with rainwater and darkness falls early. The result is that my work that deals with dark themes and I believe they emerge from the darkness of the city.
I have posted this at our Facebook page as well should you wish to offer your views. You can find it at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inscribemedia/183385438479538

* Still time to enter the September competition at www.inscribemedia.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment