Wednesday 8 October 2014

Cracking first lines

First lines are so important in setting the scene for readers.  How about these an excellent examples from our e-anthologies Global Shorts and VegemiteWhiskers?



I met Silas in a bar called The Trickster. He was the Joker. I was the Queen of Hearts. Thats the beginning of Heart String by S J Finn, the first story in our e-anthology Global Shorts.

Or On the day of my grandmothers funeral, I stopped eating. Thats the start of Eat, Mister by John Michaelson.

“I always get away with it, I’m invulnerable, I’m the man,,” he thought, and he said it loud, right into the ear of the wimp who was lying pinned beneath his foot in a remote corner of the playground , which is the start to I Always Get Away With It by Stuart McCarthy.


Its not like anyone around here actually properly celebrates Christmas. Thats the start to Andrew Frosts Chrissie Lights, one of the stories in our Australian e-anthology Vegemite Whiskers. 
 

Or how about this at the start of Bella Andersons The Last of My Line? I am the last of my line; my eyes will never shine from another face, no one will laugh or talk like me and my memory will not survive a careless generation.

You can check both books out on Amazon.

John Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment