Wednesday 25 June 2014

The importance of editing

Last night I was chatting to my class about editing. As you may know, I have always said that I write fast and edit slow, by which I mean that I hurl words onto the page then spent most of the time working and reworking them.
For example, there was a scene, in which there was a death in a place containing thirty people. It was a deliberately confused scene and my detectives interviewed several witnesses to try to ascertain what had happened. Three characters pointlessly repeated each other so the first two characters had their lines cut and it also became clear that the newly-created one really was not needed at all so I deleted her. The result? Added pace and zip.

That’s where editing comes in its own.

John Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment